BREAKING: JHMS Deemed Safe After Bomb Threat

By on March 14, 2018


JACKSON HOLE, WY – Jackson Hole Middle School delayed its opening two hours today because of a bomb threat school officials received overnight. Law enforcement officers have determined the school is safe. Regular operations will resume at 10:55 a.m. “We have been working with law enforcement who performed a two-hour sweep and did not find anything,” Charlotte Reynolds, Teton County School District Information Officer, told PJH. Reynolds could not comment on the method by which the school received the bomb threat. “That is part of the police’s investigation,” she said.

The early morning sweep involved members of the Jackson Police Department, Teton County Sheriff’s Office, Teton County Bomb Squad, Lander Police Department and a K-9 bomb dog.

It has been almost a decade since Jackson Hole Middle School or High School received a bomb threat, Reynolds said.

The school’s delayed opening happens to fall on a national day of student protest #WalkOutWednesday, spurred by the school shooting last month at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Flordia, where 17 people died. Students are walking out of classrooms en masse today for 17 minutes to advocate for gun control measures like banning assault weapons.

JHMS Principal Matt Hoelscher sent an email on March 13 to parents saying students would be allowed to participate in a walkout. According to one parent, a group of students had planned to walk out during the designated 10 a.m. time.

This is a developing story.

[An earlier version of this story misidentified the JHMS principal. – Ed.]



About Robyn Vincent

Robyn is the editor of Jackson Hole Snowboarder Magazine and former editor of Planet Jackson Hole. When she's not sweating deadlines, she likes to travel the world with her notebook and camera in hand. Follow her on Twitter @TheNomadicHeart

You must be logged in to post a comment Login