Fire in park kills one

By on July 31, 2015
Typical dorm room at Colter Bay (GTLC)

Typical dorm room at Colter Bay (GTLC)

Jackson, Wyoming – An early morning fire at an employee dormitory in Colter Bay claimed the life of one seasonal worker and injured four others.

Teton Interagency Dispatch Center received an emergency call at 12:04 a.m. on Friday, July 31 that Grand Teton Lodge Company’s Colter Bay dormitory was ablaze. The fire was contained to a single dorm room but smoke managed to chase approximately 70 people from the two-story structure.

The first responders used fire extinguishers to suppress the blaze before fully-equipped park and county fire response teams arrived shortly after the call. GTNP firefighters with Engine 2 responded within 10 minutes of the call. The deceased was located in his room, unresponsive. CPR was performed for an hour but the unidentified victim, believed to be a male, was pronounced dead at the scene. Four others were treated for minor injuries including smoke inhalation.

The fire was suppressed by 2 a.m.

The name of the deceased is being withheld pending notification of family.

Comments

comments


About Jake Nichols

Jake is a work in progress.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply