- The Boomerang Effect: Jackson’s gravitational force difficult to escape
- FEED ME: SLC airport eats beat out Denver’s
- GET OUT: Snowvember ice
- MUSIC BOX: Brother Mule reunites at Dornan’s
- THIS WEEK: November 26 – December 2
- DEAR ROCKY LOVE: Ready or not?
- GALLOPIN’ GRANDMA: Did anyone see a turkey go by?
- WELL, THAT HAPPENED: Mockingjay I: Full price, half the movie
- THEM ON US
- PROPS & DISSES
MUSIC BOX: Growling from the Dennison
JACKSON HOLE, WYO – Playing tight yet relaxed with a musical partner can be the ultimate challenge in performing acoustic music. Growling Old Men – the acoustic duo of Ben Winship (mandolin family, vocals) and John Lowell (guitar, vocals) – unobtrusively attain this vibe, digging into bluegrass, ballads and instrumentals that are harvested as much from the music of the Appalachian hills as the Western plains. The duo has released a quartet of albums that showcase stellar instrumental playing and a knack for storytelling: Growling Old Men (1998) Occupational Hazards (2005), Shuttle Diplomacy (2008), and Chicken Feed & Baling Twine (2013).
Growling Old Men will perform at a fairly new upstart music series in Dubois, “Live from the Dennison Lodge,” in an iconic ranch cabin in the high country. The series is accompanied by full-scale film and audio production, aimed at broadcasting its concerts on Wyoming PBS.
Growling Old Men, 7 p.m. on Thursday Live from the Dennison Lodge in Dubois. $15. 307-200-9190.