- THE FOODIE FILES: Centenarian secrets
- THE BUZZ: Teewinot claims two
- REDNECK PERSPECTIVE: Hog Island economics
- FEATURE: The Center of the Universe
- GUEST OPINION: Five times the feces?
- GET OUT: Ode to Delta
- MUSIC BOX: Euphoria meets Canyon
- THE BUZZ: The Faces of Blair
- WELL, THAT HAPPENED: Trumped up comedy
- MUSIC BOX: Heroes can’t stand still
It’s official: Cheney withdraws, Enzi reaction
Cheney’s rocky campaign began last summer when she announced via YouTube she would challenge longtime Republican Mike Enzi in the Senate primary. Since then, the neoconservative has been accused of being a carpetbagger, ran afoul of her openly gay sister, and ruffled feathers in the state GOP camp.
Enzi held a wide lead over Cheney in early polling. Cheney cited health issues in her family but was not more specific than that. The entire Tweet read: “Serious health issues have recently arisen in our family and … I have decided to discontinue my campaign.”
Sen. Enzi issued a prepared statement Monday afternoon upon learning of Cheney’s decision to bow out of the race.
“While it is not always easy, Diana and I have always believed in putting family first. We have tremendous respect for Liz’s decision. She and her entire family are in our thoughts and prayers,” Enzi said.