- MUSIC BOX: Freedom of sound
- KEEPIN IT CLASSICAL: Sounds of rapture
- GUEST OPINION: Let the animals roam
- THE FOODIE FILES: Kitchen scrap mojo
- CREATIVE PEAKS: Inanimate actors
- Craft beer cowboys
- COSMIC CAFE: Outlook = prosperity
- THE BUZZ: Dem there were three
- START Bus director hired
- Death at Van Vleck believed to be suicide
It’s official: Cheney withdraws, Enzi reaction
Cheney’s rocky campaign began last summer when she announced via YouTube she would challenge longtime Republican Mike Enzi in the Senate primary. Since then, the neoconservative has been accused of being a carpetbagger, ran afoul of her openly gay sister, and ruffled feathers in the state GOP camp.
Enzi held a wide lead over Cheney in early polling. Cheney cited health issues in her family but was not more specific than that. The entire Tweet read: “Serious health issues have recently arisen in our family and … I have decided to discontinue my campaign.”
Sen. Enzi issued a prepared statement Monday afternoon upon learning of Cheney’s decision to bow out of the race.
“While it is not always easy, Diana and I have always believed in putting family first. We have tremendous respect for Liz’s decision. She and her entire family are in our thoughts and prayers,” Enzi said.