Ski for free

By on September 23, 2013

ski-mag-number-1-videoJACKSON HOLE, WYO – Holy crap, we just got so stoked for winter watching the video “I’m Alive: Jackson Hole Mountain Resort.”

The two-minute short features all the cool and cold things that can be done in the valley’s winter season. It’s a production of JHMR and celebrates the resort’s Number 1 ranking by Ski Magazine readers.

And just when we thought we couldn’t be any more psyched to see the snow fly, resort president Jerry Blann just said take a ski day … on him. November 29, (it’s a Friday), every local – man, woman, and child – is invited to the village to ski free, all day, in celebration of the new honor.

“We wanted to say thank you to everyone who has helped us achieve this Number 1 ranking, and free skiing seemed the perfect gift,” Blann explained.

JHMR is scheduled to begin its 2013-14 season on November 28.

About Jake Nichols

Jake is a work in progress.

7 Comments

1. Nice

September 23, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Thanks Jerry!

Lets hope it snows before November 29.

2. sandy

September 23, 2013 at 7:46 pm

this is great news! do those of us in Teton Valley, ID count as locals? hope so!

3. Jake Nichols

September 23, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Yeah, Sandy. Get your planks over here. Let’s go.

4. Ruth McDermott

September 24, 2013 at 8:54 am

I guess the locals should be happy about a free ski day however it would make more sense to have it on a day when we actually have snow – historically on November 29 JHMR has only made enough snow to have the famed strip of death so maybe I’m a bit bitter and jaded because it costs over $1000 for a full pass and for hard working 8-5 non trust funders that actually work to make Jackson home it’s absurd. Over there yonder in Colorado you can buy a full pass for around $600 and ski multiple resorts. So Jackson is the biggest baddest bestest yes we get it and that’s why we love it but can JHMR find some middle ground for the common folks? Thanks for the free ski day Jerry but it’s on a lame day. Just my personal humble opinion.

5. Misspock

September 24, 2013 at 8:40 pm

After buying my very expensive 10 day pass which is all I can afford (yes, which is more expensive than a Colorado multi day resort pass), I always remind myself that that we live in a very remote area – ski areas like Jackson Hole aren’t a 10 minute drive from each other like Colorado. Of course they have discounted tickets to keep their mass from going elsewhere. I don’t want to live in Colorado. If my life revolved around skiing – perhaps, but it doesn’t.
    If you are buying a full pass already, then why are you complaining? As a hard working 8-5 person, I could never afford a pass for myself, much less my family. Did you buy a full pass? I’m not a single non trust fund baby either, but a family that has invested their life here for over 10 years. Help keep the famed strip of death on the free day for people with families introducing their kids to skiing for the first time FREE and keep off it or slow down to not make it such a “famed” ski run early season.
    A free day is a free day. I’m not complaining and even if there isn’t a lot of snow, take advantage of it – or don’t. Obviously it was a well orchestrated business decision and a fun one at that. They run a business and would it make sense to offer a free day in the middle of the season? No.

6. Misspock

September 24, 2013 at 8:46 pm

>>>>>>Obviously a little busy cooking dinner and putting kids to bed: (I’m not a single non trust fund baby either). A lot of double negs going there.
    No Trust Fund Babies Here. We are hard working people that live in Teton Valley and choose to go to Jackson Hole vs. Targhee for many reasons.

7. Katy Bell

September 25, 2013 at 2:50 pm

So glad we’re including our Teton Valley friends and family! Inviting them all to come over to help us celebrate J Bell’s 40th winter!