- Winter sched announced at CFA
- Yogis go rogue: New styles, studios give downward dog new meaning
- THIS WEEK: December 4 – 10, 2013
- MUSIC BOX: Music scene ramps up with ski season
- GET OUT: Beat the cold with hot yoga
- FEED ME!: Ascent Lounge: Love at first bite
- PUBLISHER’S NOTE: Don’t tread on my mobile
- HIGH ART: Belbruno brings cosmos to canvas
- MUSIC BOX: Wandering troubadour’s debut
- THIS WEEK: November 27 to December 3
SINGLE TRACK: Cyclocross: More cowbell, please!
JACKSON HOLE, WYO - A few years ago I wandered unexpectedly into the sport of cyclocross. Summer had ended and I was looking for something to keep me in shape during the off-season. I had heard about the growth of the sport and had seen the pictures of mud-splattered cyclists carrying their bikes as they jumped over wooden barriers. “Why not?” I thought.
I borrowed an older cyclocross bike from a friend and joined the circus, taking on the series of local cyclocross races in Victor. These involved riding for 45 minutes around a BMX-style course, all the while contending with a variety of obstacles like mud, tight corners, steep transitions and shortness of breath. I learned to jump off and on my bike quickly and to handle the track without falling.
I eventually branched out and traveled to Rexburg to compete. Lo and behold, I ended up racing there in a snowstorm one November weekend and winning a bag of potatoes the next.
Now, after a long hiatus, I’m going to ease myself back into the sport with the Cyclocross Training Series, which begins 6 p.m., Wednesday, at Pioneer Park in Victor and continues every Wednesday through October 23. (See Group Rides on www.fitzgeraldsbicycles.com for info.)
NEXT UP: Cross Kick-off Race and Grand Teton Brewery October Fest, Saturday. Ride, cheer on your friends and family, and celebrate the season!