- WELL THAT HAPPENED: Escaping Neverland
- Photo contest garners stirring moments
- MUSIC BOX: Get weird with Peelander-Z
- GET OUT: Motley crews command the desert
- FEATURE STORY: New American Anthem
- Riotous sequel pokes more fun at Jackson life
- FEATURE STORY: The Journey to Jackson
- MUSIC BOX: Sodapop’s Bottomless Well
- FEED ME: World’s best street food is made in Wilson
- GUEST OPINION: Climate Change is my fault
SINGLE TRACK: Cyclocross: More cowbell, please!
JACKSON HOLE, WYO – A few years ago I wandered unexpectedly into the sport of cyclocross. Summer had ended and I was looking for something to keep me in shape during the off-season. I had heard about the growth of the sport and had seen the pictures of mud-splattered cyclists carrying their bikes as they jumped over wooden barriers. “Why not?” I thought.
I borrowed an older cyclocross bike from a friend and joined the circus, taking on the series of local cyclocross races in Victor. These involved riding for 45 minutes around a BMX-style course, all the while contending with a variety of obstacles like mud, tight corners, steep transitions and shortness of breath. I learned to jump off and on my bike quickly and to handle the track without falling.
I eventually branched out and traveled to Rexburg to compete. Lo and behold, I ended up racing there in a snowstorm one November weekend and winning a bag of potatoes the next.
Now, after a long hiatus, I’m going to ease myself back into the sport with the Cyclocross Training Series, which begins 6 p.m., Wednesday, at Pioneer Park in Victor and continues every Wednesday through October 23. (See Group Rides on www.fitzgeraldsbicycles.com for info.)
NEXT UP: Cross Kick-off Race and Grand Teton Brewery October Fest, Saturday. Ride, cheer on your friends and family, and celebrate the season!