- Jackson, Wyo., gets Jack White
- THE BUZZ: Spreading the love one T-shirt, toothbrush at a time
- PROPS & DISSES
- MUSIC BOX: Upcoming mega music fest is labor of love
- GET OUT: No refuge for nine-minute milers
- Jackson’s wellness underdogs unleashed
- FEED ME! Friendly ghost of restaurant past returns
- WELL THAT HAPPENED: Escaping Neverland
- Photo contest garners stirring moments
- MUSIC BOX: Get weird with Peelander-Z
Games Go On To Honor Spackman
JACKSON HOLE, WYO – The Outerlocal Summer Games (OSG) were nearly scrubbed before they had a chance to catch on. Last year’s inaugural event was so well received – more than 500
participants took part in the four-stage race that features mountain biking, bouldering, mountain running, and paragliding – that organizers began planning the 2013 version almost immediately.
Then tragedy struck.
The event’s promoter, Outerlocal founder Christian Beckwith, was caught in an avalanche on March 1 that claimed the life of his longtime friend Jarad Spackman. Beckwith seriously considered canceling the event this summer in the weeks following the accident. Spackman was a major sponsor and supporter of the games.
Beckwith said, “If it hadn’t been for Meghan Quinn, we never could have moved forward.” Quinn, a veteran event producer, stepped in as coordinator for OSG. “We’re indebted to Meghan for everything she has done. And we’re committed to holding this year’s games in Jarad’s honor.”
Last year’s games were held on July 7 and culminated with a free outdoor concert at the Snow King ball fields. Beckwith said he has again made an arrangement with concert promoter JacksonHoleLive! to have OSG wrap up just in time for the first free summer concert of the year on June 29. This year’s event will include more than $15,000 in prizes.
Registration is $25 per leg, or $100 for teams, plus a $5 Snow King Mountain day-use fee.